South African judge blocks attempt to withdraw from ICC
President Jacob Zuma ordered to withdraw ‘invalid’ notification of withdrawal, ruling move to be unconstitutional.
A South African judge has blocked the country’s planned withdrawal from the international criminal court (ICC), saying the move is unconstitutional without prior parliamentary approval.
Sitting in the high court in Pretoria, deputy judge president Phineas Mojapelo said on Wednesday that any move to pull out of the ICC must be “on the basis of the expressed authority of the constitution”. He ordered Jacob Zuma, the South African president, to withdraw the “invalid” notification to the court of withdrawal.
Pretoria said last year it planned to leave the ICC after receiving criticism for ignoring the court’s order to arrest the visiting Sudanese president, Omar Hassan al-Bashir, who is accused of genocide and war crimes, in June 2015.
Source: The Guardian